CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 21, 2008

Diabeetus

Well yesterday was my first day being an official 'diabetic.' I went and met with my dietician in the morning and watched a video on how gestational diabetes is caused and how it all works. Luckily i do feel a little bit better that there really is nothing i can do or could have done to prevent it. My body is simply either insulin resistant, or not creating enough period due to the VAST increase of hormones going on, especially in the last month or so.
I got my little blood testing kit and learned how to use that. It's no fun but at least it isn't as painful as i would have thought. Just a little bitty prick on my finger, a squeeze, and i'm done. So far since breakfast yesterday i've been right on with my readings and goals. I'm quite proud of myself that i have managed it so far. I know there is a long way to go but i have a good start. It's not so difficult to eat better and make good choices, but it is hard when i'm at work for example and i have to eat very specific groups of foods at specific times. I get 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, which is nice, but i do have to cut back on my milk intake, LOL.
Joel brought a smile to my face this morning at least. I hop on the computer and log in under my name and what do i see? A picture of a cat that looks just like the guy on the 'Liberty' diabetes testing supplies commercial....and it just says above the cat....'Diabeetus.'
I got a great kick out of that one. :) So i just finished my Dr. approved breakfast of toast with peanut butter and an 8 oz. glass of milk so i should get ready for work now. TGIF!!

1 comments:

HB said...

Sorry about all that. Take care of yourself.